In Brisbane, Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast

What is a roadworthy certificate and when do I need one?

According to queensland government regulations – a safety certificate (otherwise known as a roadworthy certificate or rwc) is needed when a registered vehicle is offered for sale in Queensland, or when re-registering an unregistered vehicle. It confirms that a vehicle has passed a minimum safety standard inspection.   We offer roadworthies in the greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast.  If you a looking for full comprehensive vehicle inspections our partner company also does these in Sydney or Brisbane and Perth.


What happens if the vehicle does not pass a roadworthy inspection?

The first thing is – don’t stress.  This can happen from time to time – and we are here to guide you through the process.  We will explain exactly what needs to be done to bring the vehicle into compliance.  Sometimes these items are quite small and quickly resolved.  You have 14 days to rectify the problem – then simply call us back for a re-inspection so we can verify that the issues have been addressed.   We will then issue you with your roadworthy certificate.


Vehicles requiring a roadworthy certificate are:

  • Cars
  • Motorcycles
  • Trailers (including caravans) with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM) over 750kg-3,500kg
  • Any other vehicles up to 4,500kg gross vehicle mass (GVM).
  • Motorhomes
  • Caravans


What does a roadworthy certificate cover?

  • tyres
  • brakes
  • steering
  • suspension
  • body rust or damage
  • windscreen
  • lights.

(source qld.gov.au/transport/registration/roadworthy/)


What vehicle roadworthy certificate is not:

A roadworthy certificate is not a substitute for a full comprehensive vehicle inspection. A full comprehensive vehicle inspection will cover dozens of important points on your vehicle that are not covered by a safety certificate / road worthy certificate.  To avoid buying a lemon you really need a full comprehensive vehicle inspection to ensure your prospective vehicle is not hiding any nasty surprises that could hurt you financially down the track.


When do I need a roadworthy (safety certificate)?

You must display a roadworthy certificate label on a registered light vehicle from the moment you offer it for sale, including when you:

  • List the vehicle for sale online
  • Display that it is for sale in public
  • Drive the car with a sign in the window offering it for sale

You must display your roadworthy (safety certificate) in an obvious area, such as:

  • motorcycle—on the front forks or guard
  • car—on the windscreen or window

When displayed, all information written on the certificate must be able to be seen clearly from outside the vehicle.

You can be fined over $560 if you don’t clearly display a road worthy certificate on a vehicle—from the moment you offer it for sale